Wednesday, July 02, 2008

November Rain or Estranged?

Time to swim against the current. At the risk of widespread public ridicule am going to say that I prefer the Guns N' Roses song 'Estranged' over the cult hit 'November Rain'. Yes sir (and ma'am) let me repeat myself.... I personally prefer 'Estranged'.

Now, now. Before you bring out the brickbats and start shooting off mass emails telling people that I've lost it, please allow me the chance to explain myself. After that you're welcome to not change your mind. :-) First of all, let me say that I really really like November Rain. The violins, the drums and Axel Rose's unique voice make it one of my all time favourites. It is one of the greatest rock love songs of the 1990s. Yet that is all that it is - a love song.

Estranged on the other hand is a song which has multiple facets and angles to it. It starts off as a love song when Axel croons, 'Old at heart but I'm only 28. And I'm much too young. To let love break my heart' And then it changes to an angst ridden criticism of the world when he asks, 'So nobody ever told us baby. How it was gonna be. So what'll happen to us baby? Guess we'll have to wait and see'. And yet both have elements of the other in them. Love or lost love along with how unfair the world appears to be.

The best lines in the song are 'When I find out all the reasons, Maybe I'll find another way. Find another day. With all the changing seasons of my life. Maybe I'll get it right next time'. I honestly think that these four lines are the best that Guns N' Roses ever wrote. Maybe its because they fit so perfectly with who I am and all the cock ups that I've done. But more than that, what I love about these lines is that they remind you that there will be other ways and other days. They give you hope and that is a wonderful thing to have. :-)

So while Estranged does have an underlying sense of lost love, it paints many more subtle shades of the human psyche. How many times have you felt alone when a close confidant is no longer around? Maybe you'll then agree with 'I'll never find anyone to replace you. Guess I'll have to make it thru, this time. Oh this time. Without you'. Coz life goes on. No matter what. So in the video, when Axel jumps off the supertanker and finds himself alone in the sea he knows that he's where he is because he chose to be so. You estrange yourself only when you refuse the lifebuoys that your friends throw you.

But enough of pyscho babble. To each his own. Why don't you watch both videos and decide for yourself? Just ask yourself this question.... should music simply sound nice or should it also make you introspect on who you are? Your answer will tell you which song you like better. :-)

Estranged:


November Rain


Once again, I think they are both fabulous songs. I just happen to like Estrange better.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

look here: http://www.gunsnrosesforum.de/showthread.php?t=10267