Friday, July 11, 2008

The Fall and Rise of the Nawab

The other day I was chatting with an old friend who happens to be the girlfriend of an equally old friend. Now in between all the friendly banter and leg pulling, I happened to ask her where that loser (my pal) was. And she said that he has been camping at her place for the last 10 days.

Hmmmm. Now these two love birds are in the US and I guess things are pretty different. I mean no nosy relatives or people dropping in unexpectedly. But 10 days? The bum had been chatting with me and had never mentioned this trip. Which got me suspicious. My suspicions seemed to be confirmed when she mentioned that he was helping out at home, or trying to at least.

Woah!!! Hold those homely horses for a just a minute. My pal... helping out....at 'home'? This was not the baniyaan clad, underarm scratching, methane burping slob I had known in college. His room was even messier than mine, which is saying a lot. I started picturing him wearing an apron and gloves, slaving away in the kitchen. Saying 'Yes darling' every second sentence. And maybe (thank God actually) bathing everyday. My my my. How the smelly have fallen.

I felt sad and relieved at the same time. Sad coz another free spirit had been ensnared by the wiles and guiles of the non-male species. One more soul lost forever. Yet I was relieved cuz a biological disaster had been averted thanks to the baths. But still, I knew I would miss him.

Just when I was about to raise a toast to another fallen comrade, a miracle occured. The lady in question told that the 'helping hand' mask had slipped within 2 days and he was slowly getting back to his normal self. Relief flooded through me. Praise the Lord!! All was not lost. Turns out my friend is more or less the same person I have known, and loved. Hooooo munga.

Our friend still snores his head off till 11 AM, still drops food all over the table, still leaves beer bottles all over the house, still refuses to make his bed. And best of all, has control of the tv remote!! Now we're talking. This was more of a Trojan Horse manouver rather than an abject surrender. Proud of you dude.

So, to end on a happy note I think that if men can live, and thrive, in captivity maybe there is still hope for mankind. :-)

4 comments:

Paradox Philic said...

Your idea of freedom sucks man!!!
:P

Practical Preacher said...

To each his own madam.. to each his own.
:-)

Rujuta said...

Why do I have a sudden urge to let loose a female lib battalion on this post? :D

Practical Preacher said...

Please go ahead.. its a free country.. at least for some men... ;-)