Sunday, July 20, 2008

Always A Woman

For my earlier post on the Nawab who redeemed himself I got a bit of flak from quite a few ladies. I also got a lot of woo hoos from my guy pals but that is another matter. So let me set the record straight. I don't hate women. In fact its quite the opposite. I think women are great and am glad that God didn't stop with Adam. Imagine a world without them. Hmm.. lotsa bars, only sports on TV, world peace, no traffic accidents and in my case, a much smaller phone bill. :-)

Now now, before you think that this post is another wisecrack at all my enslaved male friends let me get to the point. After many years of trying, and failing miserably, to understand women I remembered the Billy Joel song 'Always a Woman' and suddenly my life got a lot simpler. We men are not supposed to understand women, thats what other women are for. We men are supposed to listen, nod our heads, say 'yes darling you are right' or 'its ok sweetie', wait for them while they get ready, hang on to their shopping bags and pretend to not be bored out of our minds. Thats our job. Thats what we're here for. ... to make women happy.

The biggest mistake I made when I was younger was to innocently assume that women think like men do. After being run over by a couple of trains I realized the error of my ways. In fact it was a very wise lady who once told, 'You gullible simpleton. Don't ever make the mistake of thinking that you know what a woman has on her mind. Coz even her best friend doesn't know.' So I have come to treat women with the respect that they deserve. But I don't trust them. Not one single bit. I enjoy being with a pretty girl. You laugh, you try to be witty and talk about stuff you normally wouldn't. But at the back of your mind you know that five minutes after saying goodbye to you she might be on a call with another suitor. That is the way life is, so don't complain.

So what does Billy Joel have to do with all this? Well, if you read the lyrics of the song you might just agree with me when I say that women God's greatest creation, but they are also his most dangerous. :-)

She can kill with a smile
She can wound with her eyes
She can ruin your faith with her casual lies
And she only reveals what she wants you to see
She hides like a child
But she's always a woman to me


I especially like the 'only reveals what she wants you to see' bit. Every woman has her secrets, which she is entitled to keep. Layers under layers. Circles within circles. That sort of thing.

She can lead you to love
She can take you or leave you
She can ask for the truth
But she'll never believe.
And she'll take what you give her, as long as its free
She steals like a thief
But shes always a woman to me


Yes sir, she might ask you for the truth. But she will follow her own intuition when it comes to making her judgment. Which normally is to not trust the guy. :P

And she'll promise you more
Than the Garden of Eden.
Then she'll carelessly cut you
And laugh while you're bleedin
But she'll bring out the best
And the worst you can be.
Blame it all on yourself
Cause she's always a woman to me


The term 'led up the garden path' didn't just pop out of nowhere you know. Lol. But it is true, at least in my case, women bring out the best and the murst, oops worst, in me.

The last para in the song brilliantly sums up how women can be different things at different times.


She is frequently kind
And she's suddenly cruel
She can do as she pleases
Shes nobody's fool
But she cant be convicted
Shes earned her degree
And the most she will do
Is throw shadows at you
But shes always a woman to me.


Ah yes. I used to wonder how someone as loving and tender could turn into someone so cold and aloof. But I guess that is just the way women are. After all, the female of the species is deadlier (and far smarter) than the male.

P.S. - This post wasn't written with anyone in mind. Or may be it was. :-)

8 comments:

Prettysureitsme said...

tempted by your invitation to "leave a comment" and the beautiful number you chose... i felt i should tell you that you have caught the essense of the song in such simple yet apt words.. but like in the song.. your words too walk the thin line between love and hate..

Practical Preacher said...

Love yes, hate No. Hate is a very powerful word. One that I prefer not to use. :-)

I think that 'With or Without You' would be more apt. If you know what I mean.

Raina said...

"But at the back of your mind you know that five minutes after saying goodbye to you she might be on a call with another suitor."

and men don't do that! u make men sound so innocent!

Practical Preacher said...

Lol.. touche! However, the post is about women, not simpler beings. :-)

Sangeetha Kodithala said...

Thats what we're here for. ... to make women happy.

The sooner men realize this the better! :D

- Kodi

Big Foot said...

i totally agree with my good frd....its always going to be women....if u find a path without obstacles its probably not worth it,....so my women folk...u are all worth it for us the lesser mortals...!!!!n the prob is not really with we men....god gave us a dick and a brain....but only enough blood to run one at a time...!!!guys cheer up we have two things that women for sure dont...!!!

Tarun said...

Written after lot of contemplation.

Practical Preacher said...

And contemplation comes after a lotta pain and suffering.. ;-)

Hehe.