Saturday, August 02, 2008

Wait Up... Young Man

Ten minutes ago something happened to me. Nothing earth shattering, or path breaking, or mind blowing. All I did was help an destitute old man cross a four lane road. He smiled, thanked me and we shook hands. Thats all.

The whole morning I have been feeling a little under the weather due to a host of reasons, some of which are self-inflicted I think. Anyway, after going through the day's work I realized that I had something to take care of and left my office. All this time I was talking to myself, muttering dark nothings and generally doing not-very-much to cheer myself up. I went to see my second best friend and found some comfort.

The auto I was taking back stopped opposite to my office's gate. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed an old man asking a policeman for some directions. He was wearing the traditional garb that most (non-rich) farmers in this part of the coutntry seem to wear. He seemed to be carrying his belongings in a little sack that was tied to a stick. Within a nano-second I had summarized him to be a poor old man who had given his best years to a heartless plot of land and an ungrateful brood of children.

I began the dangerous and third-worldly task of crossing the road with vehicles coming at me at 60 kilometres an hour. Once again, my peripheral vision informed me that he was calling out to me and seemed to want my attention. I almost choked for I couldn't think of a more inopportune time to ask someone for alms. So I did what most people would do and pretended not to notice while continuously inching my way to the other side of the road.

When I had crossed the first of the four lanes and was standing on the divider, the old man caught up with me. At that point, I admired his perseverance for I thought I had shaken him off. He came up to me with a big grin on his face and I thought to myself, 'ok, lets hear your sales pitch'.

But all he said (in hindi.. surprise surprise) is, 'Young man, can I cross the road with you?'. For a moment I almost said, 'Excuse me! What did you just say?'. He then went on to tell me that, 'These cars are too fast for an old man like me with such poor eyesight. Can I tag along with you?'. To my credit, I quickly recovered from finding out that things weren't going according to my cynical expectations and said, 'Sure'.

Within two minutes we had crossed the road and I was still wondering if he had some sob story or request to make. But all he did was grin again, shake my hand and say, 'Thank you very much. I have never crossed the road so quickly. It normally takes me at least fifteen minutes'.

And with that he was gone. I stood there for a couple of seconds and scratched my head. I could see that the security guards from my office were curious and wondering what had transpired between us. And the look of 'bewildered understanding' that was beginning to show on my face must have reassured them that all was well.

I don't know who that old farmer was or what his life story must have been. But I hope that the fifteen minutes of his that I saved made a difference to his day, because the two minutes I spent with him sure did make a difference to mine.

3 comments:

Raina said...

i like! :)

sad how we assume how people are because of the way they're dressed or the way they act...

incidents like these are good reminders for us to open our eyes (and mind)... :)

thanks for sharing!

Practical Preacher said...

the eyes are always open. It's the mind that is shut. :)

So yeah Ms Singh, this was a 'mindopener' for me.

Rujuta said...

Loved the post...there's a whole world out there we are wary of, and it isnt half as bad as we make it out to be, only if we ever manage to change our perceptions once in a while....
sadly, the cliches are right, most of the times, all that people need is a kind word and an attentive ear....