Monday, August 25, 2008

Drive With Me

Here are a list of songs that I love to play when I am on the highway (in no particular preference) ....

1. Dangerzone by Kenny Loggins
Mood - I feel the need. The need for speed.

Ray Ban aviators, a jacket, a wannabe Tom Cruise grin on your face and a roaring engine. This song had to be on my list.... Makes you want to slam the throttle and go full speed ahead. Great song to start your journey with. Sets the right tone.

Revvin' up your engine
Listen to her howlin' roar
Metal under tension
Beggin' you to touch and go


2. Boys of Summer - Don Henley
Mood - Nostalgia. For friends and days that have long since passed.

This song always makes me think of Goa. Days spent on Spring Beach. The sun, sand, seaweed and surf. :-) Floating in the sea with your feet pointed towards Turtle Island and your eyes watching the planes take off. Ah, those golden days when all you thought about was which party to head to next.

I can see you
your brown skin shining in the sun
you know your walking real slow
smiling at everyone.


3. Someday I'll Be Saturday Night - Bon Jovi
Mood - Hang in there kiddo.

Sometimes you drive just get away from it all. To clear your head and gather your thoughts. Often enough it is only the memory of the good times that keeps you going.

Hey hey hey hey, man gotta live my life
Like I aint got nothin but this roll of the dice
Im feelin like a monday, but someday Ill be saturday night.


4. Coney Island - Van Morrison
Mood - Just you and me babe.

This has to be one of the most underrated love songs ever written. Total comfort and total understanding, thats what this song oozes. None of the usual sentimental over the top 'I wanna hold you hand' thing.

I look at the side of your face as the sunlight comes
Streaming through the window in the autumn sunshine
And all the time going to Coney Island I'm thinking,
Wouldn't it be great if it was like this all the time?


5. Learning to Fly - Pink Floyd

Mood - To hell with everything. I wanna get outta here. Fast.

For those times when you want to run away from yourself. Flirt with the self-destruct button. When you are torn between giving up and gritting your teeth & taking the pain. I have found that it is best to ride out the storm and make peace with yourself. At times like this you should take your foot off the accelerator, slow down and stay alive. ;-)

Ice is forming on the tips of my wings
Unheeded warnings, I thought I thought of everything
No navigator to find my way home
Unladened, empty and turned to stone


6. You'll Think of Me - Keith Urban
Mood - Your loss honey. Maybe someday you'll realize it.

To all the girls I've loved, and lost. I still think very highly of you and hope that you are happy. Just that it is a pity 'what could have been. What should have been.'

Take your records, take your freedom
Take your memories I don't need 'em
Take your space and take your reasons
But you'll think of me.


7. Beautiful Girl - INXS
Mood - Pure mush.... :-)

Love the way this song begins. The moment it begins you know you have a great song playing. One of INXS' best creations. Also a good way to get someone to stay on beyond their curfew. Lol.

Now where did you find her
Among the neon lights
That haunt the streets outside
Stay with me.


8. Escape - Enrique
Mood - Lol. Anyone who has seen the video knows what the mood is.

Come on. Every guy wants to be Enrique in this song. Hooo munga, is she smoking hot!!

Here's how it goes, you and me, up and down at this time
We'll get right, where to fight
Cause love is something you can't shake
When it breaks.


9. Nights in White Satin - The Moody Blues
Mood - I dunno. This song has meant different things to me at different points in my life.

For those times when you ponder about the choices you made. The paths you took or didn't take. One of those 'what if' songs... Its for when you pull over by the side of a river and gaze at the boat on the horizon.

Nights in white satin,
Never reaching the end,
Letters Ive written,
Never meaning to send.


10. How Do You Do - Roxette
Mood - Hey there good looking. Wanna hop in for a ride?

I have to sign off with this song. It is one of the coolest songs I have heard.... Though I've never done it, I would love to pull over next to a gorgeous stranger, lower my sunglasses just a bit, grin and say, 'How do you do?'

I see you comb your hair
and gimme that grin.
It's making me spin now,
spinnin' within.
Before I melt like snow,
I say Hello
How do you do!


Let me leave you with this song...

4 comments:

Big Foot said...

intersting list to go through with....covered the entire gamut of human behaviour...!!!my vote is for the no#1 song on the list...thats my no#1 as well...:D
second on the list is #8..no reasons for explaining why... :P...takes u to a different road all together...!!!

Tarun said...

Yeah every guy wans to be in Enrique song, just a small addition, I want to be the only guy in his video.

I dont want Enrique around. :P

*Zammana kharab hai*

Anonymous said...

Gr8 list wank, but i'd throw in a few hindi songs like the dil chahta hai title track in there too. Remember the cab rides from hotel ganesh to technopark?? :)

Practical Preacher said...

Big Foot: Lol, I knew you would like #1 and # 8. Remember Spring Beach and the keys of that 'fucking marine engineer'? :D

Tarun: You're right. No one wants that idiot around. Just Anna and the bike/car. ;-)

Vaze: DCH did cross my mind. Would certainly make it to the 'honourable mentions' list. Hmmm. Hotel Ganesh to Technopark?? Lol, then we should have 'Pardesi' in the list. Man, those were the days. Your poor roomie.. Bond... Never got to use the loo for more than 5 mins in the morning. Hahaha.