Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Hotel Alumnifornia (Sung to the tune of 'Hotel California')

Hey dude..
was saving this for quite some time.. but I believe this blog is the right place for it :)

Nitin Sareen


Hotel Alumnifornia
--------------------
On a dark gachi(bowli) highway, rejection slips stuffed in my hair.
Warm smell of the placements, was rising up through the air.
Up ahead in the distance i saw an 'alumni'
My head grew heavy and my sight grew dim
I had to ask him for advice.
There he stood in the doorway

Around his self created swell.
And I was thinking to myself
he cud be banking or consulting.
Then he lit up a cigarette and he showed me the way.
There were voices in the atrium
and I heard them say....

Welcome to the Infosys and TCS
such a lovely place
such a lovely face.
Plenty of room in IT & ITES
Any time of year, you can find us near.

His brain is really twisted, he's got a banking job.
He got lot of pretty boys n girls that he calls friends.
How they chat in the atrium, sweet summer sweat
some chat to be remembered, some chat to get laid.

So I called up the president
'please review my resume'.
He said, you have only IT here since nineteen ninety nine
And still you want to be on the financial side.
Wake up its only the middle of Term 5, or you will hear them say....

Welcome to the Satyam and the CTS
such a lovely place
such a lovely race.
Plenty of room in IT & ITES
Any time of year, you can find us near.

Egos on the ceiling,
The suit boot and the tie.
And he said,'you are all just guinea pigs here, for our next surprise'.
And in the partner's chambers
they gathered for the feast.
They taunt us with their 3-point spikes
And we just cant kill the beast.

Last thing I remember, I was
Running door to door.
I had to find the way to get back
To what I was doing before.
'relax', said the CAS Man
we're programmed to deceive.
you can apply for any job you like
But you can never have peace.......

----------------------------------

With a few modifications by yours truly. Old Man Sareen is the brains behind this one though.

7 comments:

Sangeetha Kodithala said...

Awesome post, dude! Essence of job-switch dreams so beautifully captured!

Hats off to Nitin Sareen :-)

Jam said...

LOL... Awesome stuff dude. The deepest frustrations of anyone who wanted a "career-shift" captured here!

VeeVee said...

Hahaha! I like! Gotta say though, your ISB and current post are making my dubious dreams of being a corporate goddess even murkier...

Practical Preacher said...

Kodi.. yeah Old Man is a good at these things.

Jammer the Spammer... he really reached into his soul n wrote these things..

VeeVee.. hello there... ISB aint as bad as I make it out to be. I only trash the place coz I can. :-)

A and I said...

This is really good stuff! Hats Off!

Swapnagandha Hawaldar said...

Aha, dear old ISB! Talk about submitting assignments at the last minute. I remember dashing from SV3in the dead of the night while another friend stood guard over the submission box :-) I liked the line on “processes” too. You have hit the nail on the head there!

You wrote about the 'Boy on the Buffalo' but forgot about the Brinjal Lady in the library. Not fair on her! :-) She used to give me the creeps! And please don’t malign the Sarovar guys so much, their breakfast used to be one of the best and I would have gladly taken all 3 meals there if they had served breakfast thrice a day :-) Still remember their Moong dal ka Halwa. Awesome!

BTW you forgot the housekeeping guys. When I came back home after graduation, for the first 2-3 days I almost expected to be woken up with a “Housekeeping Madam” :-)

Oh, what I wouldn’t do to be at the campus :-) Thanks for bringing it all back again!

Practical Preacher said...

Lol.. awesome comment. Your absolutely right about the brinjal lady. Great name for him. Dunno how on earth they allowed that junk to be placed inside the LRC.

Sarovar's breakfast rocks. No doubt about that. I stand corrected. :-)

Almost feel ashamed for forgetting the housekeeping boys. They were the best!!

ISB rocks. Though our Dean can do with some lessons in common sense. ;-)