Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Independence Day...

Today I thought I would change things and not have some inane status on my gtalk messenger. So I put up a 'hmmm...' and settled down to what I thought would be a quiet day. As usual, it turns out that my best laid plans were relaid. Within almost 45 mins, five people had pinged me to ask what 'national problem I was thinking about'. Now I dont know whether to be flattered with the attention or whether I was being made a monkey of. Since I think am reasonably well evolved, I choose to exclude the simian option. Right then people, let's see.... What national problem should we talk about today?

Call it gut feeling or simple common sense but I think that one good thumb rule (or as an MBA would say, heuristic) to which direction a nation is headed is the importance that its people place on education. And if what I observed during the weekend drive from Hyderabad to Bangalore is anything to go by, India (at least South India) is on the right track.

We set off early on Independence Day and the rain gods decided to join us on the journey.So there we were making slow progress through the pot holed road that someone had the gall to call a 'National Highway'. Within a couple of hours some of us (not me) were wondering what on earth we were doing on a bumpity-bump road at 7:00 AM. Sure enough the 'iss desh ka kuch nahi ho sakta' statements started. As more and more people joined in, I took out my iPod and started paying more attention to the world outside. I thought to myself, 'Come on guys. Can we at least not grumble on Independence Day?'.

Over a period of time we happened to pass a lot of primary schools. Through the sleep deprivation haze, the nagging inside the car, the rain, the potholes, the trucks belching black smoke... one thing stood out. Almost every kid I saw was immaculately dressed. And whats more, they seemed to be genuinely thrilled about celebrating Independence Day.

I distinctly remember seeing kids wearing all-whites. And I mean ALL white. Their uniforms were perfectly ironed, their hair was neatly combed, even their white canvas shoes looked freshly polished. Now lets freeze that frame for a moment. You might wonder what do clean uniforms have to do with the future of this nation. Well I would say, EVERYTHING.

You see, its not as if the kids opened a magic box and took out some special uniforms for this particular day. Given that it was raining like mad (and had been for a week) the very fact that the kids were dressed so appropriately obviously means that someone at home must have gone through a lot of trouble to ensure that their uniforms were washed, dried, ironed and their shoes polished. This also means that the teachers had managed to instill a sense of pride and occasion in both the children and the parents. And this in turn means that there must be a healthy and strong rapport between parents and teachers.

I guess it goes to show that left to themselves most people want their kids to study hard, do well and grow up to live better lives than they did. Since rural India seems to be betting big on education I think things will change for the better.

As I sipped my dhaaba chai (yum yum) I looked at myself (figuratively) and my companions. I saw a bunch of overpaid, cynical, hungover, self absorbed souls who didn't really give a shit if it was Independence Day or not. To us it was a long weekend which was to be used to meet up with more people like ourselves. And as I went to pay the chaiwaala I looked at the kids again. The excitement and energy that they radiated made me wistfully think of the days when I was like them.

Has our generation... Gen X... Gen Y... Gen Algebra... if you want, failed this great country? I hope not. But I fear we are perilously close to running out of time. We are young only once, and history (and those young kids in white uniforms) will soon judge us.

6 comments:

Tarun said...

This post exudes opptimissim which is good.
But U know there are two concerns for me, lack of teachers and judges.
U made a good point though.
I think we can afford to cut down on reservation and add more institutes of learning

Sangeetha Kodithala said...

Agree with you on this. It is already kind of proven by the way most of tier-2 cities have become IT hubs by now. All said and done, no company would open a delivery center without ample supply of graduates from the nearby towns.

It's a welcome sign and hope the tempo continues.

Practical Preacher said...

Tarun... totally agree with you. We need better teachers and more judges. There is a lot of work still to be done, but yeah.. I think we're headed in the right direction.

Kodi, wasn't thinking as far as that. Hmmm... Great point actually.

:-)

Raina said...

hey... nice post :)
us "overpaid, cynical, hungover, self absorbed souls" do sit around and complain about the state of the country all the time... i think i hear complaints at least once a day...
on the flip slide...its hard to know what to do though... its a tough situation...

Practical Preacher said...

Well Ms. Singh... isn't that what we have been educated for? I mean you go to a B school so that you'll solve tough and complicated problems. Right?

If we don't step up and do something, who else will? :-)

Raina said...

i actually think we go to b-school hoping to come out making more money...hehe ;) jokes apart... i totally agree with u... stepping up to the plate is the need of the hour...