Sunday, August 21, 2011

ISB in the Dark - Independence Day

Last week I decided to spend the evening on Independence Day at ISB. I guess that part of me wanted to go there to acknowledge the place that had help free me from the clutches of IT Services & years of mind numbing boredom. (Gora says sit, you sit. Gora says stand, you stand).

But I suspect that another part of me wanted to see if the bar was open on this 'dry' day. I've never understood why we cant celebrate our nation's independence by having a drink or two. Seems to me that this ridiculous rule was thought of by someone who was either a teetotaler or had no sense of occasion. Depressing.

Besides these two rather opposing, but in a slightly perverse way, similar reasons for going to ISB I also thought that I would take some long exposure & night shots of ISB. Have always loved the way the buildings look at night. With the sodium vapour lamps & their orange light falling on the pink (i think) stones. Sadly this was not to be. ISB was either in mourning (Pls dont ask me why) or is having cashflow problems or has suddenly become conscious of its carbon footprint. Whatever the reason might be, all the building lights were off.

With my plans of using my new Manfrotto tripod all but ruined, I decided to head to the exec hostel & see if Tutun the bartender could help me irrigate my throat. Unfortunately, for me, the bar was shut and Tutun must have been at home gratefully spending a rare evening with his friends/family. Maybe this is why they have dry days.

I was at a real loss now. No photography, no friendly bartender, no one I knew on campus. Just when I was beginning to come to terms with the fact that I had driven 18 kms for nothing, I decided to go to SV 3 (The coolest SV by far) and see I could salvage my trip.

Luckily for me, a patient auto rickshaw driver and some good timing allowed me to take one picture that I think made the whole exercise worthwhile. The picture is below. I call it The Circle of Light (rather unimaginative I must admit). It is taken at the roundabout at SV 3's entrance. Have fond memories of this place and this picture adds to them.



Hope to take many more long exposure pictures & put that Manfrotto tripod to good use. Will keep you posted on how that goes.

2 comments:

Sangeetha Kodithala said...

SV3!!!! Tonnes of everlasting memories...

Practical Preacher said...

Ya Kodi.. the best SV!!! :)